Creative writing is a great tool for kids of all ages to practice using their imaginations and broaden their thought process. This can lead to success in many areas, including problem-solving and analysis. It also improves writing, spelling, and penmanship skills.
The Halloween themed writing prompts I have put together are not only for older kids who are experienced writers. Young kids can use the prompts to create a story by drawing pictures or using stickers!
To get started with creative writing you can visit your local dollar store and buy composition books, pencils, crayons, and markers. Then, each week give your kids a topic, or story starter, to write about and they can work on their story for about 20 minutes every day.
Here are a few Halloween-themed ideas for your children to write about, I hope they will keep your writing adventures fun and enjoyable!
- Create a recipe for a witch’s brew and describe what it could be used for.
- Create an advertisement to sell a haunted house.
- Write a letter to a vampire convincing it to come to your Halloween party.
- Finish the story: It was a dark and stormy night when suddenly…
- Describe the ultimate Halloween costume.
- You are going to interview a witch. Write 10 questions you would ask.
- If a jack-o-lantern could speak what would it say?
- What is the best Halloween you have ever had?
- Everyone always talks about the old house at the end of the street, but I couldn’t believe what happened when I went inside…
- Describe your perfect Halloween. What would you do? Where would you go?
- Which of these would you like to have visit you: a ghost, a mummy or a skeleton? Why? What would you do with them?
- A zombie is on the loose and you have to stop it. What will you do?
- Which would be the best pet for a witch, a spider, a bat or a cat? Why?
- If candy were banned on Halloween, what could be given instead.
- If I were a ghost …
- You run into a real witch on Halloween. She casts a spell on you…what happens next?
- If you had a flying broomstick, where would you go? Why?
- You have to choose Halloween costumes for your friends. What would you choose, and why?
- If you could create your own candy, what would you make? What would it taste like? Look like?
- Build your own monster, just like Frankenstein. What parts would you use from where/whom? Why? What would you have your monster do for you?